5 Common Questions About Horse Registration with USDF


By Amanda Ciejko

So, you have your new horse & you’re ready to compete. Maybe you have goals of winning an Adequan®/USDF All-Breeds Award, or maybe you are only interested in showing once or twice a year in USEF-licensed/USDF-recognized shows. Either way, you need to register your horse with USDF. How do you go about doing that & what is involved? Here are the answers to the most common questions when it comes to horse registration with USDF.

What is required for a horse to be registered with USDF?
A horse registration application must be submitted to USDF, via fax, mail, or submitted online at www.usdf.org, and will be effective when the appropriate application and registration fee have been received in the USDF office. A horse does not have to have breed registry papers to be registered with USDF. However, pedigree and breeder information is not considered official and will not be published unless a copy of the horse’s breed registry papers are submitted to USDF. Certain award programs, such as the Adequan®/USDF All-Breeds Awards, require that breed registry papers be submitted to USDF. You can check specific program requirements on the USDF website.

What is the difference between Lifetime Horse Registration and a Horse Identification (HID) Number?
Both the Lifetime Horse Registration and HID number are one-time identifying numbers issued by USDF. If your horse has a USDF HID number, it can be upgraded to a Lifetime Horse Registration at any time. Although scores earned by horses with an HID number will be recorded, most USDF award and championship programs require Lifetime Horse Registration at the time the scores are earned.

Is a minor allowed to be the sole recorded owner of a USDF-registered horse?
Yes. USDF does not require an adult be listed as a co-owner with a minor. A minor can be the sole owner of a USDF registered horse.

Should a horse be registered in the name of the owner or lessee?
If a horse is being leased, the horse should be registered with USDF in the name of the owner, and a lease agreement filed with USDF. Once a lease agreement has been submitted to USDF, the lessee will be recognized as the bona fide “owner” for the period of the lease for all USDF membership requirements and for USDF award and championship purposes. The Lease Recording Form can be found here.

Does my horse’s ownership need to be recorded the same with both USEF and USDF?
Yes. A horse’s owner(s)/lessee(s) should be recorded the same with both organizations to prevent problems at competitions, and to ensure scores for award and championship programs aren’t affected.

Learn more about horse registration on the USDF website here.


Leave a Reply