The USDF L Education Program offers a comprehensive curriculum created to teach participants and auditors how to evaluate dressage performance at Training through Second Level.
1. L Graduates complete close to 100 hours of training and evaluation.
The L Education Program is divided into two parts; each part is made up of three, two-day sessions.
Part 1 is broken down as such:
- Session A is an introduction to judging and biomechanics.
- Session B is about judging criteria for gaits & paces, movements, and figures.
- Session C is about collective marks, equitation, rider biomechanics, and basics.
These sessions also include an online component with several modules and online quizzes.
Part 2 is considered the “Candidate’s Evaluation” and is open to Participating Members with three verified scores from USEF-licensed/USDF-recognized competitions. Part 2 is geared towards those who are interested in graduating from the program to officiate at schooling shows or who plan to apply for the USEF’s ‘r’ Judge Training Program.
Candidates must also complete sitting and scribing requirements.
2. L Graduates must complete eight hours of judge-related continuing education each year.
Continuing education for L graduates is very important and the L Program Committee would like to ensure that L Graduates (which includes L Graduates with distinction) stay up to date with current judging criteria. Since L Graduates are used to judge schooling shows, it is important that they stay current with current judging criteria in order to give proper comments to riders competing at the grass-root level.
Graduates who meet the continuing education requirements will be listed on the USDF website.
3. Graduating the L Education Program with distinction is a prerequisite for the USEF-licensed Dressage Judge training Programs.
The L Education Program is designed with several goals in mind:
- Provide trainers, instructors, competitors, and spectators’ insight into the evaluative techniques of judging dressage.
- Prepare and evaluate candidates who wish to pursue entry into the USEF ‘r’ Judge Training Program.
- Provide continuing education for licensed judges and L graduates.
4. L Graduates are trained to evaluate dressage performance through Second Level.
5. The L Education Program is a great educational event that is hosted by GMOs.
Auditors are allowed in Part 1 of the L Education Program, making this a great education program for all members. Please contact LProgram@USDF.org if your GMO is interested in hosting!