Breed of the Month – Quarter Horses! Part 2

734
Submitted by Ellen H. - I have loved this breed since I was a small child! This is Mr. Coldspring Nic. He is a 7 year old AQHA gelding. He has competed training level and first level. He is my dream horse!!! He and I are learning so much together!!!

Quarter Horses are our YourDressage Breed of the Month for April!  This breed originated in America, and is known for its athleticism, excelling in everything from horseracing, to western sports, to ranch work, as well as in the dressage arena.

Dressage enthusiasts who ride Quarter Horses have the opportunity to earn special awards through the Adequan®/USDF All-Breeds Awards as The American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA) is a Participating Organization.

We recently asked our social media followers to share photos of their Quarter Horses, and let us know what makes this breed so special. Below, you can see their photos and stories.  Make sure you check out Part 1 of this gallery if you missed it!

We hope you’ve enjoyed our coverage of this breed month long, as we’ve celebrated them with photo galleries and exclusive stories from Quarter Horse enthusiasts across the country!

Join us next month, for our May Breed of the Month: Pony-Mania where we will celebrate all different types of ponies!

Submitted by Abigail S. – My AQH gelding, Artful Moves! We show in training level test 3 and I ride for the University of Florida Dressage Team!
Submitted by Alia S. – Mr Rum N Smoke, 15 at the time of this photo from a schooling show in 2019. Photo Credit: Steven Rice Photography
Submitted by Alissa S. – French Vanilla, my first horse and heart horse. He taught me SO much and had the most patient, gentle, kind soul. I’m so thankful to have had such a wonderful quarter horse in my life for 10+ years. I miss him every day
Submitted by Alissa S. – Kasey, my 18 year old quarter horse gelding. He is such a good, honest guy. He always tries his hardest to please and he loves to work, whether it’s dressage, western pleasure or trail rides
Submitted by Andrea W. – All N Time. 5 year old aqha mare schooling 1st level. A complete unicorn that will chase cows one day, go on a trail ride the next and compete in the dressage or hunter/jumper ring the following day. Best brain ever! Read their story exclusively on YouDressage here.
Submitted by Charlie S. – This is my 21 year old AQHA mare Clever Move “Rosie.” This photo was taken at the Jeremy Steinberg Clinic in November of 2020.  Read their story exclusively on YourDressage here.
Submitted by Coni S. – Boston Beamers Mac 2019 at our first dressage show ever
Submitted by Debbie B. – Promise to Cut. 9th, 10th, 11th, and 10th overall Level 1 Amateur, 2020 Virtual WDAA World.
Submitted by Denise S. – AQHA Spotlight Chic taking care of my daughter and just finished a Clinic with Lendon Grey and Dressage for Kids (D4K) this weekend.
Submitted by Ellen K. – Tadpole, a quarter horse I was leasing as the time, now owned by a client and boarding in my barn! Lucky to have her and she got me my second level scores
Submitted by Emma M. – My 9yr old AQHA mare Lucy! She is WP bred but learning the dressage ropes. She is super smart and so sweet
Submitted by Gabi K. – Rueger, my 9y/o cowbred QH! Planning to debut 2nd level this year, and starting to introduce changes.
Submitted by Heather K.
Submitted by Jennifer C. – Two Up For The Blues, aka Tiffany. My beautiful homebred mare that did not make it on the Quarter Horse Circuit, but boy did she ever shine in dressage with numerous championships.What a great journey we had together.
Submitted by Jennifer P. – Mackenzie Poelking & Blissful Promise.
Submitted by Kaitlyn O. – My QH mare Peaches. I purchased her in October from a USDF competitor so shes definitely better at dressage than me, and has been a great partner
Submitted by Karen N. – I showed Doinwhatcomesnatural, a homebred QH, by Natural Iron out of our mare Vana Tuff Stuff. We did classic dressage to finish up our AQHA Amateur Versatility award (65 points in 8 events). We had such fun learning a new discipline. He’s retired in Kentucky on a beautiful farm now.
Submitted by Kat D. – Absolute Purple Haze – 2018 AQHA Reserve Year End High Point – Training Level, just qualified for 2021 Regionals in Training Level 3, and finished superior in Dressage. Recently a judge asked what breed he was, and then said “He is the PERFECT Amateur dressage horse”.
Submitted by Kate S. – Hot August Nights (“Auggie”) Grade QH off the 6666 Ranch in Texas doing Cowboy Dressage! *Note: USDF strongly recommends all riders wear protective headgear when mounted.
Submitted by Katherine A. – Love your feature on Quarter Horses! Here is a photo of mine – Zan’s Blue Frost, he is 17 years old and 14.3 hands. We are currently competing at Grand Prix. Read their story, exclusively on YourDressage here.
Kayley K. – Here is a pic of my Appendix Quarter Horse after placing Reserve Champion and Third Place at Region 2 Championships last year at Training and First!
Submitted by Kelly B.
Submitted by Kim J. – Great Time Chic Training Level Dressage 2021 with Nicole Josey in young rider. Excited to see where this pair goes in their first show season together. They already have scores in the mid 60’s and two blue ribbons in their stats. Nicole enjoys learning more about dressage and her overall riding with “Showtime.” He is a very accomplished Reiner and we are honored to be leasing him for dressage this year.
Submitted by Kristin P. – Swingin For Money, home bred gelding shown in amateur training and first level. He was the 2019 AQHA Amateur High Point horse at first level. He was also the Mid Ohio Dressage Association Amateur 1st Level Highest Average scoring horse of all breeds. He is now my daughters Working Hunter horse show casing the versatility of the AQHA horses.
Submitted by Libby Z. – Ive Got A Minute is a 2004 Appendix QH mare. She finished 2nd behind WTR Herestoyourhonor at the inaugural Dressage Stakes class at the 2020 AQHA World Show (she also finished 6th in the Western Dressage stakes class). In 2019, she qualified for GAIG Regional Championships in Open 1st Level and 1st level freestyle (withdrawn due to injury), and was 2nd place in the year end AQHA point standings for 1st level. We are looking to compete at 1st and 2nd level this year, hopefully at GAIG Regionals and at the Pony and Small Horse championships in July!
Submitted by Lillian E. – AQHA proud! Fourth Level. Listos Last Sugar. From Reiner to Dressage
Submitted by Lisa D. – BamBam aka Dodge and Twist (age 16) was a blown up barrel horse who I retrained for dressage. He did extremely well his first three years making it to Regionals before old barrel injuries caught up to him. Now he is pampered and cared for in grand retirement as is so well deserved.
Submitted by Martha D. – Dakota Roan Gunner 12 year old aqha gelding. Showing 4th level. I bought him at 2 months old from Wheatham Quarter horses in Belle Fourche SD. He herds cattle on our farm, has been on trail rides all over the US (Big Bend TX, Ocala,FL, Teddy Roosevelt NP in ND, McGinnis Meadows in MT and many other places in TN and KY.) He was a joy to start at a colt and we have steadily improved in training. We started training dressage in 2014 and earned our USDF Bronze together in 2019. My dream is to advance to FEI level. My heart horse.
Submitted by Mary S. – Quanahs lil Sister, aka Sister. Best little horse ever and has enabled me to meet so many riding dreams in the past 12 years we’ve been together. From our eventing working student days out on the East coast and then back to the Mountain West eventing, dressage shows, trail riding, and once she even overnighted on a line in the mountains on a little pack trip – QH are just the most versatile horses! An old trainer said she would probably peek at 1st level but I always felt Sister was smart enough to probably go all the way to the top (who knows about me though), but with my current trainers we’ve tapped into a horse I didn’t even know was there so the upper levels aren’t as much of a pipe dream now! And the fact that this horse is the same horse, whether she is ridden 6 days a week or was off for a year, is the reason I’ve just never been able to part with her.
Submitted by Megan L. – They have the best brains
Submitted by Michelle S. – My QH. He is just starting dressage and is so patient as we learn together.
Submitted by Missouri F. – Look Who’s Truckin bought as a 5 year old OTQH doing barrels. Took me through preliminary eventing and earned me my 1st and 2nd level scores towards my bronze medal. He’s pictured here at 21 showing 3rd level. He passed at 26.
Submitted by Nathalie E. – AQHA/APHA proud!!! From Western Pleasure to 3rd level! 8 years old in this picture and 21 today still going training level and first level with my clients! *Note: USDF strongly recommends all riders wear protective headgear when mounted.
Submitted by Patrick M. – Honey Bright Dream my Aqha mare. We went from training level to Grand Prix and she earned my bronze, silver and gold medals. This horse changed my whole life. *Note: USDF strongly recommends all riders wear protective headgear when mounted.
Submitted by Rachel B. – Well Al Be and I are still very early on in our dressage career, but we just earned our first 70+% at first level. He’s mightier than Pegasus, sweeter than a puppy, and has the best sense of humor that I know (horse or human).
Submitted by Renay C. – Autumn Skye was a patient, kind and wonderful partner!
Submitted by Sandy G. – I started my dressage career on a QH (Art Addiction), but my daughter grew up showing dressage on QH’s. At 10 yrs old locally & 4-H showing Kentucky Sally, then QNR Right on Red and Sunnys Tarnished Star. But her heart mare was Cent N Silver (Zoe) which she finished her 4-H career on and also showed USDF shows earning AQHA points at the beginning of the AQHA acknowledgement of dressage. My daughter lost her battle with leukemia last year at age 27. I still have Zoe, who is now 22 years old.
Submitted by Sandi Z. – This is Kelley Little Step. We rode together from training level to third level. She wasn’t flashy but she was obedient and hard working. She was a great partner. She died suddenly last year. I’ll always miss her.
Submitted by Stacy C. – Half quarter horse half dutch warmblood… 6 year old Kashmir’s Kiss.. 15 year old working student at Donida Farm Equestrian center in WA State.
Submitted by Stacy G. – Redeem Ur Chips ( Gus) we are working on first level, he would rather work on eating in the pasture!!
Submitted by Stephanie C. – This is Ozzie he’s is a 17 year old QH with just the best stretch in the walk and the trot and also just the best workman like attitude
Submitted by Terry K. – Canela, she is so smart and athletic. Probably the most sensitive horse we ever owned but has a huge heart and always gives it her all. After many setbacks the past couple years we are hoping to be back to competing at first level this year.
Submitted by Valerie H. – This is RR Moondog. I raised and trained him as an all arounder. We started competing in Western Dressage and then joined USDF and began competing. We earned our Bronze in one season plus one show and he earned my friend her Bronze also after she lost her horse. Moon is competing at 4th level this year and training some PSG and GP movements. He’s fun, honest and a joy to own and compete!

Submitted by Whitney G. – Fates Collide (Clyde), 20 is a retired college dressage horse he’s my heart and teaching me Intro level, hunter course in this pic.

Go see Part 1 of our Quarter Horse Gallery.